Consider the following question:
Would you be comfortable getting on a plane, knowing:
- the pilot has never flown a plane before.
- the pilot was selected because they said in their interview they would be able to fly
Of course not. Yet every day leaders are appointed into positions without any reliable information as to their ability to actually perform a role. A Chandler Macleod Day in the Life Assessment Centre is essentially a ‘flight simulator’ for critical roles within an organisation. Typically they focus upon leadership or professional sales roles which reflect the typical challenges they would face.
For example, a Senior Leadership Assessment/Development Centre may involve:
- Preparation and presentation of a strategic business plan
- Making decisions around operational issues
- Meeting with strategic partners (e.g. addressing performance issues, pitching an opportunity)
- Meeting with a direct report (e.g. coaching, performance issues or stimulating change)
- Meeting with customers (e.g. managing service issues, re-negotiating terms,
- Media interview
- Delivering an inspirational speech
From having observed your leaders perform in all of these areas, and assessed them against pre-determined criteria, their readiness to perform in a specific role becomes clear. Proactive strategies for developing the gaps also emerge. Participants consistently report that the experience itself opens their eyes as to their own readiness to perform ‘at the next level’. This insight, coupled with strong feedback and subsequent development is a powerful platform from which to build professional capability.
Typically our clients realise clear value in Assessing the following key roles: Senior/Executive leadership, Functional Leadership, Front line leadership, Strategic Sales Roles.