Team Effectiveness and Organisational Development can be described as the planned investment of time and effort into activities or processes that improve:
- Team communication
- Team member relationships
- Team members’ understanding of each other
- Clarity of purpose
- Team solidarity
- The capacity to learn as a team
Why would I use Team Effectiveness and Organisational Development ?
The most common reasons for investing in Team Effectiveness and Organisational Development are:
- “Something is not right in our team”
- A project team is composed based on technical skill and it is important to accelerate their ability to work together cohesively as a team
- A new leader joins the team
- A new member joins the team
- The team is being more reactive, rather than proactive, and there is a need to take time to clarify direction and goals
- A team is not progressing or improving
- Some team members are not working together well and it is impacting on the entire team
These reasons are reactive drivers for investing in Team Effectiveness and Organisational Development, so it is important to note that many of our clients invest into regular team effectiveness to be more proactive in maintaining and further developing the direction and relationships within their team.
How does Team Effectiveness and Organisational Development Work?
Team Effectiveness and Organisational Development interventions can be implemented in various ways to best meet a client’s key need for investing in building cohesive teams.
Interventions may range from two hours to two days but would always be designed in alignment with the team’s specific needs.
An assessment would be used to gain insight into team members, their expectations and team building needs. Assessments may include Psychological Assessment and interview.
Individual feedback sessions provide an opportunity to understand the team, discuss perceptions and feedback psychological results from the diagnostic phase.
Team Effectiveness and Development Workshop
An interactive workshop would be customised to best meet a team’s needs. Areas covered may include purpose clarification, ground-rules, sharing personal insights, goal setting and strategising for delivering business goals.
Feedback of Information
To ensure Team Effectiveness positively influences behaviour change, information covered would be fed back in a clear, concise format that captures key insights and “where to from here”
To support ongoing positive behaviour change, continued contact with Chandler Macleod creates stronger commitment to follow through on action plans and also provides assistance to work though barriers to change.
We have access to various instruments to facilitate Team Effectiveness and Organisational Development Workshops (eg. Team Management Systems, Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and Humm-Wadsworth) and we tailor our approach depending on each individual team’s needs.